General apartment renovation
This renovation is one of the longest stories. First of all, literally, because of the total duration of the breaks. There was really a lot of work to bring the apartment to a developer state and then to finish this “developer state”. Secondly, we needed a construction manager, appropriate permits, and there was a yellow board hanging down the block, why?
Not very often, but still it happens that we get requests for more complicated works. Then usually it is an inquiry from the recommendation, where someone is looking for reliable repair professionals who have in their CV all kinds of unusual work and can deal with something more difficult. How difficult it is, judge for yourself – it’s about moving a load-bearing wall. It is so complicated that you need a “building permit”, a construction log, a manager and a yellow notice board which informs about everything and which is visible from the street or sidewalk level.
Moving it was an interesting job. At the beginning, we had to stamp the ceiling and cut out the old reinforced concrete. Time worked against us here because concrete hardens with age. The older the concrete, the harder it becomes, and there is no time limit. At the beginning, the entire concrete mix never fully sets, especially when it comes to works carried out several dozen years ago, when there was no attention to detail. Later, with time, further reactions occur and concrete hardens (I mean concrete which is in relatively good conditions and does not corrode). After cutting, we put channel sections selected by the constructor, welded together and welded to the existing building structure and anchored.
Today, when I write this subpage, is March 7, 2021. This realization is over, but we have already signed a contract for a very similar one where we will also make changes in the structural wall but in a slightly different building. A bit of a repetition of the entertainment, but still a difficult scope, so we will stay attentive to this topic.
In addition to this scope, which consumed probably half of the focus on this implementation, we did other work in the field of general finishing. During the renovation, it was:
- Replacement of the entire electrical system – installation of light points, sockets and switches, installation of a new electrical switchboard in the apartment, TV tunnel,
- Replacement of the complete plumbing system – sewer approaches and hot and cold water. Additional scope of work was to prepare the installation for connection to MPEC, because in a few years the hot water will be supplied to the city,
- building new partition walls for several rooms – bathroom, laundry and changing the division of rooms and bedrooms,
- leveling of plasters, the protection of mesh cracks,
- suspended ceilings with recesses for LED mood lighting,
- plaster on the walls and painting,
- laying decorative bricks in the office and living room,
- Plasterboard installation of steel load-bearing beams, toilet frame, pre-wall with recess shelf in shower, alignment of existing load-bearing walls,
- waterproofing of wet areas,
- Tiling – this is another very interesting area. Tiles in the bathroom are sometimes square small formats about 20x20cm, larger 60x60cm and hexagons. These hexagons are placed in the bathroom near the linear drain, on the floor, as well as in the laundry room and kitchen. They “go out” from these rooms to the corridor and are connected by a broken line with a glued wooden floor. In this case, we need to know the concept of where the hexagons are to come out and the thickness of the board at the ready. When connecting a bathroom to a hallway in a doorway, 1 mm difference is not the end of the world. In this particular case, even 1 mm could be the end of the world so both the flooring team, and we had to be very careful to keep one level. It was, and it worked out beautifully ❤️
- Finishing the hidden door frames plus painting the door wings to make the color and texture identical on the wall and on the hidden door,
- scraping walls of old paint, wallpaper, cork, plaster,
- demolition of partition walls, scraping off old screed.
Btw. for me, renovation is just the work in the apartment from the secondary market, while the finishing is the work from the developer state. I am curious how it is for you, dear customers?